Tuesday, March 21, 2017

1946 All Stars vs. Campbellsville Cokes

Best story ideas sometimes come through our front door - 1946 All Stars vs. Campbellsville Cokes

Central Kentucky News-Journal, The (Campbellsville, KY) - July 10, 2014

Maybe I’m thinking she’ll have a popcorn ball in her vehicle. But, every time I have the luxury of seeing Nell Wise, it makes my day.

One day last week, Ms. Wise came to see me with an old article she found after reading the article on the Campbellsville Cokes.

The story that I’ll run in its entirety below came as a preview of a Sunday, Aug. 30 game that happened in 1959.

I told Ms. Wise, who I refer to as one of the mayors of Spurlington — my hometown, that I wanted to use the article but it would be almost impossible to the aged newspaper photo. (I used to want to go to her and Bob’s house two days before Halloween and two days after to get some of her delicious popcorn balls.)

Then later that day, I ran into Don Shaw at Jeff’s Food Mart and he told me “I’ve got that picture.”

A day later, Shaw brought me that photo which you see below that has he and his brother, Russell, in it. (Don looks more like his youngest son, David, who I know wasn’t around in 1946.)

Ironically, on Monday, Bobby Shaw, Russell’s son, was in the office as he was wrapping up some things at his mother’s place. Liz Shaw was buried on Saturday.

He told me that another player in the photo, “Twister” Garrison, resides in Frankfort like he does.

The 1954 article, which was entitled “Old-Timers of 1946 to return to action against Cokes on Sunday”, read:

“Spectators should be treated to a rare spectacle Sunday, Aug. 30 when the Old Timers team composed of stars of the 1946 Campbellsville Bluegrass league club meet the present Coke team in a contest of skill and stamina on the city high school diamond.

“If the “old-timers” can hold out, they should be able to teach their successors a few tricks. But, wind and skill may have been tapped by that time. However, the game will continue as long as the former stars can manage to wiggle up to the plate.

“Included in the 1946 team lineup will be Paul Coop, Dr. Wanless Mann and George Wright, pitchers; Turney Harding and Paul Cooley, catchers; Russell “Twister” Garrison, Polk Ewing, Paul Campbell, Russell Shaw and Merlin Campbell, infielders; and David Mitchell, Ray Knifley, Frank Ramsey and Romulus Gibson, outfielders.

“Porter Hord and Oliver Crouch will return to their old accustomed posts on the coaching lines and will take another fling at managing and coaching.

“The occasion will be a homecoming for several of the former Lions team members, many of whom are now residents of distance climes.

“The Coke lineup will include Wayne Smith, P; Willard “W.D.” Wolford, C; Willard Smith, 1B: Bob Coakley, 2B: Lanny Parrott, SS; James Thompson, 3B; Johnny Pierce, LF; Eddie Claycomb, CF; and J.D. Underwood, RF.”

Still quite an interesting story nearly 55 years later!

No comments:

Post a Comment